Montreal, Canada, North America
Lead Translator-Editor on an RPG video game title
* This job opening has been viewed 5999 times « Return to list
As the Lead Translator-Editor in a team of 3, your main responsibility will be to edit and translate a Role Playing Game (RPG) project. In addition, you will be asked to translate and edit related documentation such as online content, audio scripts and manuals. The objective is to prepare the text elements to their final presentation prior to linguistic testing in context. You will collaborate with our internal and external translation teams, as well as internal audio department, and provide your recommendations on the project-specific linguistic choices in order to achieve the quality standards agreed with our clients.
The job entails the delivery of our translation projects to the highest possible specified quality standards according to schedules and budgets agreed between the Project Manager and the client. You will achieve this through careful planning, detail-oriented work style and flawless execution with the help of pre-defined processes and the use of various online and off line translation tools, such as XLOC and SDL Trados Studio.
Language pairs :
- English-French(CAD and EUR)
- English-Chinese (simplified and traditional)
You are an experienced self-starter with a degree or certificate in translation. You have 5 years of experience in a translator role and 2 years of experience in video game localization, namely on RPG titles. Your experience in creative writing, adaptation or subtitling will also be taken into consideration.
- Translation of our clients’ game titles in various game genres, primarily RPG’s, but also MMO, MMORPG, casual games, and console titles.
- Editing translations from multiple translators in order to ensure consistency and compliance to title specific glossaries as well as manufacturers’ terminology
- Use reference materials such as dictionaries, lexicons, encyclopedias, and computerized terminology banks as needed to ensure translation accuracy
- Identify and resolve conflicts related to the meanings of words, concepts, practices, or behaviors
- Performing linguistic sample reviews on externally localized pieces to ensure quality
- Occasionally, when requested, help in the Localization department with QA testing.
- Linguistic spot checks of Localization testers’ bug reports in order to produce feedback of our testers’ linguistic ability
- Performing evaluations on translation tests conducted to our external freelance or agency vendors
- Projects may require overtime, evening shifts or weekend work
Required Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Degree in Translation/Linguistic studies or equivalent education
- Excellent linguistic skills
- Deep understanding of video games genres and linguistic choices to fulfill the requirements of the game designer and target audiences expectations
- 5 years of experience in translation, with 2 years of experience in video game or RPG localization
- Excellent spoken and written skills in English
- Ability to work both independently and in teams
- Excellent analytical and time management skills
- Highly organized and detail-oriented work style
- Candidates are required to pass a translation test
- Expected minimum of 2000 words translated per 8hr day
- Expected minimum of 8000 words edited per 8hr day
- Experience working with TM/CAT tools, such as SDLX and/or Trados
- A passion for games and game localization
- Good knowledge of Excel